Finding the right treatment for headaches in Scottsdale, AZ requires a proper diagnosis. While most patients self-diagnose themselves, it is important to visit Dr. Sara at AZ Sleep & TMJ Solutions in Scottsdale, AZ. Dr. Sara understands headaches can often occur frequently, which is why a diagnosis is key in creating an effective treatment plan.
A Headache Diagnosis in Scottsdale
A headache can potentially be a symptom of an underlying health problem that requires further medical attention. In diagnosing headache types, a complete and accurate history of symptoms and characteristics is helpful. Dr. Sara and her team at AZ Sleep & TMJ Solutions might ask how your headache feels and the characteristics including:
- A description of the type of pain and where it is located.
- The severity of the pain on a scale of 1 to 10.
- The length of time that the pain lasts.
- The frequency of the headaches.
- A presence of a trigger, such as situations, food, activities or medicines preempting the headache.
- Any symptoms that occur along with the headache, such as sensitivity to light and/or sound, nausea, or weakness.
- Does anyone else in your family have headaches?
- When did you first experience this type of headache?
- Do you experience headaches that feel different, or do you have different types of headaches?
It is also necessary to conduct a physical or neurological examination to find any signs of what might be an underlying cause, such as:
- Trouble with balance
- Vision abnormalities
- High blood pressure
- Fatigue or muscle weakness
- Injuries or head trauma
Creating a Treatment Plan
Depending on the type of headache, each treatment option might be different. Accurate diagnosis of frequent or recurring headaches is critical to finding relief when symptoms occur while also establishing both a short-term and long-term treatment plan.
Dr. Sara will work with a physician who can further aid in the diagnosis of headaches in Scottsdale. The availability of medical teamwork will allow Dr. Sara and the physician to rule out or confirm possible causes. Sometimes an MRI will be recommended for proper diagnostic testing. The use of an MRI helps to take images of the brain to enable a radiologist to see the soft tissues inside the skull. Through the use of an MRI the cause of a headache will potentially be able to be explained.
With multiple types of headaches in Scottsdale, AZ, as well as many possible causes, it is important to seek further care to determine a proper diagnosis. Most headache patients may not require an array of extensive diagnostic testing before establishing a treatment plan, but that is where proper diagnosis comes into play.
Contact Dr. Sara at AZ Sleep & TMJ Solutions to learn more about what to do to find out what your headache diagnosis is.